150 years ago
“Smyrna” — Reprinted from the Grand Rapids Democrat: This village, in the township of Otisco, Ionia County, contains a population of 600 people. Among the earliest settlers was a Mr. Dickinson, now one of the wealthy farmers of Grand Rapids township, who built a saw milk at Smyrna about 1845. When he came into Michigan his entire property consisted of an ax and a team, with which he aided in clearing away the woods, founded the village and gave the name it has since retained.
Oops! An active subscription is required to view this content.
Please login below or purchase a subscription to the Daily News!